Monday, February 3, 2014

Making Time for Art


 
This sign just went on the studio door. I've never had a sign like this.
 
Let's back up a little, and explain some things. I recently signed up for ArtBiz Bootcamp. This programme for artists is offered by Alyson B Stanfield, of ArtBiz Coach fame. In the past, I've learned lots from her book and a couple of other classes I've taken with her. This 'assignment' was week one, fundamental stuff. It's taken me almost four weeks to actually do it!  You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I told myself about how and why this wouldn't - couldn't - work for me. I won't make you want to poke yourself in the eye with a pencil by telling you all about those excuses in detail - just know, they were lame... really lame. What was exciting though, was how great it felt to finally choose to commit to some not negotiable time frames to call studio time. I think I may have even heard an hallelujah chorus off in the heavens somewhere - though I can't be sure about that. (It may have just been Garfield objecting to a lack of appropriate cat food in his bowl).
 
What I wanted to share with you though, is that this action - choosing some times, printing them on a bit of card, and hanging it up - created a big shift in the way I think and feel about my work as an artist. Like I'm taking myself seriously.
 
Sometimes small actions can have big consequences....
 
What little thing have you done that has led to big things? I'd love to hear. Tell us all about it in the comments.
 

No comments: