Wednesday, May 19, 2010

It Starts With An Emu

Welcome to the first in a series of posts about a couple of canvases that are destined to travel with my Dad to Indiana, as thank you gifts for his hosts when he visits Clown University (There's a whole other story there isn't there?!)

Dad has requested a couple of uniquely Australian artworks, so, with a long plane trip and limited space in mind,I've decided to work on a couple of light, small canvases.

While Ernie the emu here is not populating a terribly impressive photo, I think he'll make a presentable transfer...so that's my start point.






The canvases are primed with a coat of gesso, along with the last of the 'altered book collaboration' books, which I hope to be showing you soon, as well! (It's tiny!)
Now, I share this in the spirit of discovery and exploration...I really dislike how this is looking just now (not to mention how completely lame the writing is!), but my expectation is that when it's done, the writing will be mostly obliterated, and just the odd hint of it will remain. First, a layer of acrylic paint in this lovely warm rich colour, which should glow through the subsequent layers.
Canvas number two is receiving a slightly different treatment...torn scraps from an old Australian map, again with a coat of acrylic paint in that perfect colour (at least, I think it's perfect for what I'm shooting for).
I'm heading back to the studio now to add some more paint and layers - I think I'm aiming for a hot, desert-y, outback feeling in these pieces, and as I'm working on them, I'm remembering all we learned about aboriginal culture during our trip to the Centre...in particular that they have songs for so many of their stories, laws and customs; and that they've lost the song for singing the children back out of the "Devils Marbles", which is another story for another day.

6 comments:

merci33 said...

i think that ernie makes a grand starting point for your evolving works and the backgrounds of the 2 canvas are my all time fav color...
it will be fun to see them go through their stages.The "devils marbles" story is excellent.

Tracey Hewitt said...

Thanks Iona...The pieces are coming along, though, as often seems to happen, not without a little struggle! Time for another post soon! The Devils Marbles is quite a powerful place, where the aboriginies believe the spirits reside. It is an enormous area (a number of acres) littered with enoromous round rocks - like huge marbles. Once you get in amongst them, it's easy to imagine you mightn't find your way out (especially without the tracks of thousands of tourists to follow.) The aboriginies believed that the spirits coaxed the children in and then would not let them back out again. It woulkd seem they lost the song to sing them back a long, long time ago...The story really captured my imagination - in fact, I think I may research it a bit more and write a post all about it!

Gail said...

Wow, are we starting our on line lessons. Your writing is so captivating and you have to read to the end. I'll bew waiting with baited breath for the next installment of the canvases.

Gail said...

ooppss spelling, yeks. I'll be waiting. Should spell check before submitting. hehehe

Tracey Hewitt said...

Thanks Gail! I'm glad you enjoy reading my waffle! I thought it might be fun to share the development of a piece (or, in this case, pieces) - including the ineviatble changes of course and direction that seem to pop up as I go! Next installment coming soon!

Tracey Hewitt said...

See - I do it too!! That should be inevitable!!