Monday, November 26, 2012

Tea Bags, Doiley's and Linen Napkins

Lillian's Legacy 101cm x 76cm 

Acrylic, tissue, damask, tea bags, silk, oil pastel and paper collage.

© 2012  Tracey Hewitt

For the longest time, I have had these panels tucked away safely - waiting for the wonderful day when I might finally know exactly what to do with them. (It's embarrassing to even mention how long...)

I am very lucky to have had a Nana who kept special things - like boxes and boxes of hand embroidered doiley's and damask napkins, which she enjoyed giving to me to 'do something with'. One of the napkins made their way into a natural dye bath. 
And waited. 
One of the doiley's was used to take rubbing's on used tea bags. 
They waited.
Until one day, some silk strips from the natural dyeing episode came to join them, and they were fused and seed stitched together.
As a pair of 'panels' they waited....for many years.

Lillian's Legacy - detail



Every so often, they'd get pulled out, caressed, admired, promised something special would be done with them, and carefully put away.
To wait some more.

Finally, their wait is over. I've been wrestling a bit with work for the next exhibition. I'm not sure where my muse had been on holidays...but when she came back, this was what she brought with her. Quite a bit more subtle and restrained than my usual works - yet it feels good. There's much more to explore here - I'll keep you posted!






No comments: