Saturday, May 29, 2010

It Starts With An Emu, Part 2

When I left you last time we talked about these canvases, I was off to add some more layers. First up was more paint. A lovely deep, rich red went over both pieces, a little heavier at the bottom than the top, sponged up in places with a scrunched up paper towel.

While they were drying (is anyone else as impatient as I am about waiting for paint to dry?!), Ernie's photo got a bit of Photoshop treatment - nothing too tricky, a quick change to black and white and a bit of cropping were all that was needed. He was then printed onto TAP (Transfer Artists Paper) and ironed onto the canvas. The light coloured residue wasn't blowing my frock up, so that was quickly scratched off, painted over and gotten on top of! Ernie, however, was pretty much exactly as I hoped he'd be. The next challenge is to get the rest exactly as I want it! (which proved to be a challenge, but you'll have to wait for part 3 to discover what happened there!)
The second canvas was telling me it wasn't feeling it for Ernie...it had the 'desert' feel happening though, and what it was telling me was it wanted to talk about those spirits and lost souls inhabiting such soulful places as the Devils Marbles, Uluru and Kata Tjuta (Ayers Rock and The Olgas). The addition of a little stamping in walnut ink on the tops of the torn paper pieces and a stencilled spray of Starburst Stains across the surface, and this one is right on track. All we need here is a focal point...hmmm....Stay tuned to find out how this ends!

4 comments:

Hannah Phelps said...

I can't wait to see how they turn out-they are fascinating so far!

Tracey Hewitt said...

Hannah, I'm glad you're enjoying them! I've just potsed part 3, and part 3 and half isn't far away, I hope!

Hannah said...

Tracey,

I've just tuned back in after a few days away at my in-laws. I truly enjoy the way you talk to yourself and us at the same time as you write. It makes for good reading--and I feel like I'm learning about your neck of the woods as I read--love the color washes!

Tracey Hewitt said...

I'm so happy you're enjoying my ramblings Hannah! Isn't it great to be able to learn about people and places though our blogs? I so enjoy the connection to 'real' people that we develop through our blogs - adds a lovely layer of richness to our understanding!